As members and friends of Mira Vista United Church of Christ, we...
- March with United in Spirit in the annual Lesbian and Gay PRIDE Parade
- Support the GRIP Souper Center
- Walk in the GRIP Annual Harmony Walk to End Hunger
- Funded and helped to build a healing garden — vegetables and flowers — with the Latina Center in Richmond
- Participate in justice work -- marches, meetings, "green" work, education -- all around the Bay Area
- Write letters and sign petitions for the release of women who are survivors of domestic violence
- Form a welcoming receiving line for gay youth and their allies at Lambda's Gay Prom in Hayward
- Join in and support actions of justice and mercy begun by other churches and nonprofits
- Support fair trade coffee and community supported agriculture.
Gay PRIDE Parade
Every year, Mira Vistans march in the Gay PRIDE Parade held in San Francisco on the last Sunday in June. We support the Project Eden/Lambdo Youth by providing refreshments for their Gay Prom, on June 13 this year, and by acting as greeters as the youth arrive. May they feel truly welcomed!
First PRIDE Parade, as told by Kathe, November 2008:
"In 1992 my husband and I found ourselves on Market Street in the middle of hundreds of gay people. That is not where we expected to be. Our church, Mira Vista UCC, was going through the Open and Affirming Process. It was a year-long process, a time of truth telling and of tension. People were saying that they would leave the church. Some people had gay children and did not know it. Our pastor put out the call to participate in the Parade, and so we went. We were proud to be walking, along with members from other UCC churches. We were proud to be making a public statement."
GRIP Souper Center
Mira Vista provides the makings for sandwiches for the GRIP Souper Center the first Tuesday of the month. Mira Vista also purchases the supplies for dinner at the Souper Center the first Wednesday of the Month. One of our members serves as the president of the GRIP Board of Directors.
GRIP Annual Harmony Walk to End Hunger
Every October, Mira Vistans participate in the Greater Richmond Interfaith Program (GRIP) Annual Harmony Walk to End Hunger. As a walker or sponsor, our contributions help to provide over 300 hot meals daily to needy individuals of the Greater Richmond Community. Each year friends and families gather for the rally and walk to help create awareness for hunger issues and to raise sufficient operating founds for the GRIP-operated Souper Center, a family housing facility and resource center in Richmond, CA.
Fair Trade Coffee and Community Supported Agriculture
At coffee hour we are happy to serve fair-trade coffee. And several members support Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA).